This 6-month Diploma in Education (Special Needs) (DSPED) part-time programme is designed specifically to train potential candidates to teach children with a wide range of disabilities, including those with various degrees of intellectual, behavioural, and sensory problems, or a combination of these. The candidates will acquire curriculum development and teaching pedagogy to enable children to acquire literacy and numeracy competencies.
The course is to be delivered through online conferencing applications such as Zoom.
Each lesson is recorded and the recordings will be saved to a password protected depository (e.g. cloud or hard disk storage) up to 3 months after the last class. The recordings may be retrieved for review purpose by the Academic Board. Feedback is also conducted for both lecturers and students at the end of each module to gather responses on the strengths and areas for improvements.
|Faculty||School of Education|
|Intake Date||05 Jan 2023|
|Contact||+65 6533 0031|
|Office Operation Hours||11.00am – 8.00pm / Mondays – Fridays|
- have a basic knowledge of the key areas of child development, educational theory, and the aetiology of the major types of disabilities;
- have the skills necessary for the identification of specific disabilities and the diagnosis and assessment of individual weaknesses;
- be able to develop competency in a range of teaching skills to suit the needs of the children being taught; and
- be able to plan and evaluate individualised intervention programmes for their own area of disability specialisation.
Students will first gain an introductory yet essential understanding of the various categories of exceptional children and the different supporting educational programmes available. Information on the principles and guidance strategies as applied to the exceptional child will be presented next. Different methodologies to aid a child’s development in literacy, numeracy and daily living skills will be taught before students learn the different variations in behavioural modification in various settings. Lastly, besides various intervention strategies introduced, students will also learn to confidently design and implement an Individual Education Plan or IEP to aid individuals in specific areas such as language and communication, and social and emotional.
|Module 1||Special Education and Exceptional Children|
|Module 2||Diagnosis, Assessment and Referral of Exceptional Children|
|Module 3||Literacy; Numeracy and Adaptive Daily Living Skills|
|Module 4||Behaviour and Classroom Management|
|Module 5||Individual Education Plan (IEP) and Intervention Strategies|
Click here for information on modules in this programme.
Click here for the list of registered lecturers deployed for the respective programmes and modules.
Each module will be formally assessed by written assignments and an examination. Students must attend 75% of the classes to qualify for the examination.
CAE requires a minimum 90% attendance each month from its international students on ICA’s Student Pass.
To achieve a pass in a module, students must achieve at least 50% combining both written assignment and final examination.
Students must successfully complete and pass all the stipulated course modules to be awarded the Diploma in Education (Special Needs).
For admission to the Diploma in Education (Special Needs) programme:
- Minimum Age Requirement: 16 Years Old
- Language Proficiency: At least C6 at GCE O Level English, or equivalent
- Certificate in Learning Disorders Management & Language Development awarded by College of Allied Educators; OR
- At least 3 passes in ‘O’ Level subjects including a pass in English Language obtained at the GCE ‘O’ Level (English) Singapore-Cambridge Examination; OR
- Diploma in any discipline.
For applicants who do not meet the above entry requirements, on a case-by-case basis, they may be required to take on bridging modules FIRST, before enrolling into this course.
|Preview Days & Time:||Book your preview HERE|
|Next Intake:||05 Jan 2023|
|Duration:||6 Months (Part-Time)|
|Contact Hours:||120 hrs|
|Schedule:||Tuesday & Thursday | 7.00pm – 10.00pm|
|Course Fee Structure:||Payment to be made to
COLLEGE OF ALLIED EDUCATORS PTE LTD
|Non Refundable Application Fees:||Application Fee – S$150.00|
|Total Payable before GST:||S$5,405.00|
|GST of 7%:||S$375.35|
|Total Payable after GST:||S$5,783.35|
Cash / NETS / Credit Card / Cheque / Telegraphic Transfer / Bank Transfer / PayNow / In-house Instalment
– Interest-free instalment up to 12 months available for UOB & OCBC Credit Card Holders.
– In-house instalments available on a case-by-case basis.
|Refund terms:||Refund table as per student contract|
|Fee Protection Scheme (FPS):||Fee Protection Scheme|
|Other Fees:||Miscellaneous Fees|
Disclaimer: All terms, schedules, and prices are subject to change without prior notice and at the discretion of College of Allied Educators.