This 6-month Diploma in Disability Studies (DDIS) part-time programme is designed specifically to train potential candidates to teach children with a wide range of disabilities, including those with various degrees of intellectual, behavioural, and sensory problems, or a combination of these. The candidates will acquire curriculum development and teaching pedagogy to enable children to acquire literacy and numeracy competencies.
The course is to be delivered through online conferencing applications such as Zoom.
Each lesson is recorded and the recordings will be saved to a password protected depository (e.g. cloud or hard disk storage) up to 3 months after the last class. The recordings may be retrieved for review purpose by the Academic Board. Feedback is also conducted for both lecturers and students at the end of each module to gather responses on the strengths and areas for improvements.
|Faculty||School of Education|
|Intake Date||28 Apr 2021|
|Contact||+65 6533 0031|
|Office Operation Hours||11.00am – 8.00pm / Mondays – Fridays|
- have a basic knowledge of the key areas of child development, educational theory, and the aetiology of the major types of disabilities;
- have the skills necessary for the identification of specific disabilities and the diagnosis and assessment of individual weaknesses;
- be able to develop competency in a range of teaching skills to suit the needs of the children being taught; and
- be able to plan and evaluate individualised intervention programmes for their own area of disability specialisation.
Students will first understand the various learning difficulties faced by people with special needs, before engaging in depth into two of the disorders, which are Autism Spectrum Disorders and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders. Sensory Integration imparts the knowledge and application of its therapy to help people who requires special attention in the training of motor skills. Another disorder, Communication Disorders, will then be explored to understand the causes, and available treatment and help.
|Module 1||Specific Learning Difficulties|
|Module 2||Autism Spectrum Disorders|
|Module 3||Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders|
|Module 4||Sensory Integration|
|Module 5||Communication Disorders|
Click here for information on modules in this programme.
Click here for the list of registered lecturers deployed for the respective programmes and modules.
Each module will be formally assessed by written assignments and an examination. Students must attend 75% of the classes to qualify for the examination.
To achieve a pass in a module, students must achieve at least 50% combining both written assignment and final examination.
Students must successfully complete and pass all the stipulated course modules to be awarded the Diploma in Disability Studies.
For admission to the Diploma in Disability Studies programme:
- Minimum Age Requirement: 16 Years Old
- Language Proficiency: At least C6 at GCE O Level English
- Certificate in Learning Disorders Management & Language Development awarded by College of Allied Educators; OR,
- At least passes in 3 ‘O’ Level subjects including a pass in General Paper obtained at the GCE ‘O’ Level (English) Singapore-Cambridge Examination; OR,
- Diploma in any discipline.
For applicants who do not meet the above entry requirements, on a case-by-case basis, they may be required to take on bridging modules FIRST, before enrolling into this course.
|Preview Days & Time:||Mondays – Fridays
*Estimated duration of the free preview is 1-hour.
|Next Intake:||28 Apr 2021
|Duration:||6 Months (Part-Time)|
|Contact Hours:||120 hrs|
|Schedule:||Wednesday & Friday / 7.00pm – 10.00pm|
|Course Fee Structure:||Payment to be made to
COLLEGE OF ALLIED EDUCATORS PTE LTD
|Non Refundable Application Fees:||Application Fee – S$150.00|
|Total Payable before GST:||S$5,405.00|
|GST of 7%:||S$375.35|
|Total Payable after GST:||S$5,783.35|
Cash / NETS / Credit Card / Cheque / Telegraphic Transfer / Bank Transfer / PayNow / In-house Instalment
– Interest-free instalment up to 12 months available for UOB & OCBC Credit Card Holders.
– In-house instalments available on a case-by-case basis.
|Refund terms:||Refund table as per student contract|
|Fee Protection Scheme (FPS):||Fee Protection Scheme|
|Other Fees:||Miscellaneous Fees|
Disclaimer: All terms, schedules, and prices are subject to change without prior notice and at the discretion of College of Allied Educators.