Choosing a recognised programme
The important first step in becoming a counsellor is deciding on what courses you need to take. SAC has a list of counselling programmes it recognises, and believes a good education is essential to building a good counselling ecosystem in Singapore.
College of Allied Educator’s Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology is one of the SAC recognised counselling programme available. This is a 15-month part-time programme for:
- Anyone looking to advance their professional qualification with authentic counselling experience.
- Anyone with a deep interest in understanding human behaviour.
- Anyone with a calling to help those who may be suffering from emotional or psychological trauma.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology programme allows you to:
- Advance to a professional qualification and attain authentic counselling experience.
- Achieve competence, allowing you to practice within the guidelines and ethical codes of counselling.
- Able to comprehend personal growth and self-awareness through self-exploration.
Practicum and clinical supervision
An important component in the Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology is the practicum. SAC requires recognised programmes to provide 100 practicum hours with 10 hours of clinical supervision. You will have counselling sessions with real people dealing with real issues for you to gain experience and develop yourself further.
College of Allied Educators will coordinate with you to meet the practicum hours. During your counselling sessions, you will maintain a log sheet that is endorsed and signed off on by a supervisor.
Once you have completed your 100 hours practicum and 10 hours clinical supervision, you can register to be a Provisional Clinical Member (PCM). Upon completion of your PCM, you are eligible to gain employment as a professional counsellor. Over the next three years, when you clock in a total of 600 hours of face-to-face counselling and the required 60 hours clinical supervision, you may upgrade your membership to the Clinical Membership, which is also the required membership to be known as a registered counsellor.
Registering as a Counsellor with Singapore Association for Counselling
To register with SAC as a Clinical Member, ensure you meet all the requirements and have your documents ready prior to registration:
- There is a $50 registration fee
- A passport sized photo.
- You will need to provide your counselling log sheet individually endorsed by an SAC registered counsellor or SAC registered clinical supervisor.
- You must have completed 600 hours of face-to-face counselling and 60 hours clinical supervision.
- You are required to submit your academic transcripts.
- A current letter of employment with official letterhead.
- You must have a valid professional indemnity insurance.
The specifics and details of what SAC requires are on their website. Your status as a registered counsellor has to be renewed every 2 years.
If you are ready to start your journey and would like to find out more, contact us below:
For a FREE COURSE PREVIEW
CALL US at 6533-0031 EMAIL your enquiry to ENQUIRY@ICAE.EDU.SG
or Register for your free preview below: